We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Choose your curtains according to the destination room
Start by studying the part, its needs and its areas for improvement, because each has its specificities. It is therefore essential toadapt the curtains to the space :
- In the kitchen, with greasy splashes and ambient humidity, choose Venetian blinds that are easy to dust and clean. But if you absolutely want to install curtains for decoration, then opt for polyester models that easily pass through the washing machine.
- In the living room, it is a matter of choosing a light and discreet fabric to protect yourself from being overlooked, but above all to create an intimate atmosphere by letting the light filter in. The ideal? Cotton, polyester or linen sheer curtain.
- In the bedroom we prefer blackout curtains to be able to immerse the room in complete darkness after dark, but also to create a subdued and zen atmosphere during the day. Goal ? Block out the light.
advice : do not neglect the rod choice , it will bring a little more cachet to the window.
The ideal size for curtains
First step, and not least: take the measurements of the window that will accommodate your future curtains. Measure both in length and in width.
In terms of length, it all depends on your tastes. Some prefer decorative curtains that fall to the floor, others prefer short cut curtains. In all cases, be aware that it is customary to place the rod 15 cm above the window, so add 15 cm to your measurement.
On the width side, it all depends on the type of waves (or not) you want. Remember to take into account the length of the rod and allow 30 cm more to ensure a minimum of ripples.
advice : in case of doubt, do not hesitate to add 10 cm to your measurements, especially since certain fabrics can shrink in the wash. You can then always touch up and hem if necessary. Better long and wide curtains, and therefore retractable, than curtains that are too short!
What fabric to choose for curtains?
The spirit you want to infuse into the room is also a criterion to take into account when choosing your decorative curtains. Thus, cotton and polyester (the most common on the market) will blend well with a contemporary atmosphere.
Linen and cotton will be favored for a natural decoration with a country spirit, although it is necessary to double them to avoid discoloration due to UV.
As for the silk, taffeta and velvet curtains, they bring a touch of refinement to the room in no time.
What colors should I choose for my curtains?
The final touch to a decor, the curtains are chosen as a last resort depending on the color of the walls, the floor, the ceiling and the furniture, even the beams. They bring warmth and have a real influence on the general atmosphere of the room. Hence the importance of choosing their color carefully! Note that in general the light colors (white, cream, beige, mouse gray ...) enlarge the surfaces, unlike the dark colors (black, navy, dark green ...).
Trick : in a low ceiling room, do not be afraid to opt for striped curtains (in the height direction). Their visual effect will increase the impression of height.
What finishes should I choose for my curtains?
One rule: adapt the style of your decorative curtains to the size of your window. Everything is a question of harmony. The rest ? It is according to your tastes:
- Eyelets: very practical, these metal rings slide perfectly on the rod and allow to obtain regular undulations and a perfect fall. A flawless one.
- The nouettes: these are small knots of fabric to form around the rod. Their rendering is very elegant (ideal for a country chic style). However, the nouettes are not necessarily very practical for a curtain to handle every day.
- The legs: perfect for light curtains, these rings of fabrics slide on the rod for an airy and delicate effect.
- The gathered braid curtain: ideal for curtains, the rail affixed to the rod allows easy daily handling and ensures regular undulations.
Trick : when a curtain has Flemish pleats (i.e. large pleats pinched on the upper part of the curtain), it gains in volume and sophistication.